Sunday, March 16, 2014

Russia and Ukraine

Sunday morning I noticed that my friend and brother, Jack Frederick, had posted something on Facebook that I believe needs to be shared with others. Here is a slightly condensed version of Jack’s post.

Please remember the disciples in Russia and Ukraine during the troubling times in Crimea. And I say to all whom I love in these two nations, I am praying for you and I plead with you to keep your eyes fixed on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith (Heb 12:1-3). The hearts of your brothers and sisters are with you; you are our family and you are precious to us.

It is difficult to avoid being caught up in this world, in political and military situations. I know that what you are enduring is not simple or easy, but God has chosen you to show us how to bring good from challenging times and how to be like Jesus in hardships. Do not lose heart, the mighty God is in control of the nations and is more powerful than leaders. Americans do not define what is right, nor do other nations. Our almighty God is right. I pray that you will do everything from a pure heart because of your love for God and love for one another. Consider Paul's words in Ephesians 4:29, so that in everything you say and do that you are seeking to build up others...brothers and sisters and non-believers alike. "Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit. Rather, in humility value others above yourselves" (Philippians 2:3).
I love each of you and I pray for peace so the good news about Jesus can go into all the world. I pray for the leaders of our nations such as Mr. Putin and Mr. Obama, as the scripture teaches we should (1 Tim 2:1ff) and because they are responsible to our Father. I spoke with some of you today; I know this is a very emotional time. "Be alert and of sober mind. Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour. Resist him, standing firm in the faith, because you know that the family of believers throughout the world is undergoing the same kind of sufferings" (1 Peter 5:8-9). And "Above all, love each other deeply, because love covers over a multitude of sins. Offer hospitality to one another without grumbling" (1 Peter 4:8-9).

Jack’s heartfelt words truly express a kingdom spirit. May we join him in praying and encouraging  others.

3 comments:

  1. Let us not be ungrateful, we have plenty in this country. May God never call us to account because of we have been ungrateful, while we live here in the land of abundance let's live our lives to glorify God and continue to serve each other. In others parts of the world plenty is rare or non-existing. Wars, disasters and violence is what people are used to, disciples and non-disciples alike. Let's pray continually for all nations in crisis situations. God is able to work out miracles and preserve people with his mercy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am moved by both Jack's and Alvaro's comments and will be praying for those much less fortunate than us in America. May God bring peace to those countries and protect our brothers and sisters.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am a Ukrainian baptized in Kiev living in USA. Thank you for your concern. I love MCM and i do read comments. I do not understand though why we as ukrainians are considered 'less fortunate'. Now I can compare 2 or more cultures and while the wealth may or may not be abundant in the US, there is so much more to fortune than wealth. I can tell you right away if not for my spiritual background in Kiev church I would most likely not be faithful living in the US. There could truly be a blessing in any adversity as well. I personally try to learn from people who are going through adversities rather than who live in abundance as adversities bring out spirituality given dealt with righteously. Thank you for your prayers for our countries, it is indeed super sad to lose Ukrainian territory of Crimea in a blink of an eye...

    ReplyDelete