Tuesday, August 9, 2016

"I Don't Deserve This"

Recently, I heard someone share a thought that is so valuable and helpful to me that I feel it must be passed on, and I have asked for her permission to share it with all of you.

Our sister in Christ shared about a particularly difficult patch of life that she and her husband had been through and how as different challenges mounted up, she thought of how many years they had sought to be faithful to God and how their lives surely demonstrated that faithfulness. But in the midst of the recent problems, she thought resentfully, “I don’t deserve this!” With that posture, she resisted efforts being made to bring resolution and help.


But then, she shared, God gave her a gift—a gift of perspective…maybe a mind change. While she was focused on things that were going wrong, God opened her eyes to see all the efforts being made to help and to encourage her and her husband. He showed her many examples of how his grace was coming to her. This time she was overwhelmed in a different way, and with a very new and grateful spirit said, “I don’t deserve this!”

Amazing. The same words, “I don’t deserve this,” said at one point, took on an entirely new meaning because of a new perspective. And that new perspective set her free to let God work and the results have been clear and powerful.

God’s gift to her became God’s gift to me, and others who heard her, and I hope God’s gift to you.


8 comments:

  1. I often say it's all in the way you look at things! There are plenty of things in all of our lives we could complain about, but because God has opened our eyes, we can look at our circumstances and see the good in almost every situation, even the most difficult ones.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Tom. This is a great perspective to keep. Our early worship on Sunday was to have an attitude of gratitude. So needed that message. Appreciate your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Tom. This is a great perspective to keep. Our early worship on Sunday was to have an attitude of gratitude. So needed that message. Appreciate your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "NOTE: We accidently sent out a previous MC Moment." = God had other plans. That was just what I and, I'm sure, others needed to read - again, at that very moment. This new one perhaps was supposed to be for today to reach exactly who God knew needs it. I know it was for me. Thanks, Tom, as we are so aware, God doesn't make mistakes. It is in these times when I am reassured how much the Holy Spirit is living and active in our lives.

    ReplyDelete
  5. God loves a good paradigm shift! And it is encouraging to me how quickly this can happen when we open our eyes to how he works in our lives. Moreover, I think it is safe to say that if I ever find myself in a stagnant spiritual state, I am desperately in need of one of these "awakenings". This is what I must ask for in prayer as I believe that God will readily answer such requests.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is so reassuring to have been able to witness God working first hand. It builds my faith even more to know that even in our hardest times He is working for our good!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have in tears, cried out those same four words "I don't deserve this," both in the puddle of self pity as well as in the attitude of gratitude! One verse helped me so much! "Every good and perfect gift comes from the Father..." When I recognized every kindness, encouraging word, gifts, cards and help given, as coming from God, it strengthened me for the trial. I know that God is hugging us through other people-sometimes even strangers!! We often find ourselves overwhelmed by God's love as "From the fullness of His grace, we have all received one blessing after another." John 1:16. I think that is part of why we should consider it pure joy when we face trials of many kinds! We are so undeserving of His blessings yet we are so thankful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have in tears, cried out those same four words "I don't deserve this," both in the puddle of self pity as well as in the attitude of gratitude! One verse helped me so much! "Every good and perfect gift comes from the Father..." When I recognized every kindness, encouraging word, gifts, cards and help given, as coming from God, it strengthened me for the trial. I know that God is hugging us through other people-sometimes even strangers!! We often find ourselves overwhelmed by God's love as "From the fullness of His grace, we have all received one blessing after another." John 1:16. I think that is part of why we should consider it pure joy when we face trials of many kinds! We are so undeserving of His blessings yet we are so thankful!

    ReplyDelete